Cape Emine is the northernmost point of the Burgas Bay and can be seen from far away from some of the cities located in it – Pomorie, Nessebar, Sozopol, Chernomorets. Besides, the Cape is a navigation marker for sailors and fishing boats. In this regard, there is a lighthouse at its very end.
Beside Emine is part of the Balkan Mountains and a place where the mountain meets the sea. Because of this, the shores here are incredibly steep – 60 meters above sea level. The site is mostly visited by vacationers who came to to the nearby beach of Irakli, as well as by hikers, passing the 600 km long mountain hiking trail from Kom peak (near Berkovitsa, West Bulgaria). Access to Cape Emine is difficult and requires either a high-speed car or a pedestrian crossing (at least 7 km).
Where is Cape Emine – map
USEFUL: For planning your visit to the place or accommodation in the nearby settlements, can use the collection of assistive tools – Google Road Map with calculator in km, flights to Bulgaria, rental cars, weather forecast, hotel search, timetables of buses in the region, see this link.
How to get to Cape Emine
There are several routes to visit Cape Emine:
- On the dirt road from Irakli Beach to Cape Emine and the nearby village of Emona. This way is in deplorable condition and can only be travelled by off-road car, on foot or by bicycle. The distance is 8.5 km. The route is visible on the attached above map.
- Walking along the beach of Irakli, then continue along the coast covered with big rocks and other small beaches. The distance is about 7 km. Some of the photos below are from that hike. Unfortunately, we do not have a GPX route file. Indeed, compared to No 1, this route is much more difficult. That is because, on the strips with rocks, one has to jump from rock to stone.
- Walking or biking on another path starting from Elenite Resort. Its length is about 11 km in one direction. For more details, description and photos you can see this link where there is a GPX file (the page is in Bulgarian).
- In addition to the above, another way is joining in the mountain hiking trail Kom – Emine. One could join in the route at a fork in the main asphalt road connecting the village of Banya and town of St. Vlas. Walking on the asphalt road from Banya to the point, together with walking on the hiking trail is about 18 km. For more details, you can see this link where there is a GPX file of the entire route starting from the peak Kom (West Bulgaria).
Since now, we have not tried options 3 and 4, and we cannot tell what the condition of the paths is. We moved on routes 1 and 2 in 2010, but at the moment we do not know what their status is. It will be useful to ask local people before taking a walk.
The hike from Irakli Beach to Cape Emine along the coast
Here are the photos we took when we visited Cape Emine in 2010. Then we passed the entire beach of Irakli in the south direction. After that, we continued along the coast, covered with big stones.
Continue of the walk
In the north direction, nearby, and at our discretion, the town of Obzor (10 km) is a delightful place to visit. Besides, it is the closest settlement with many accommodations for more-extended stay.
In the south, nearby, and at our discretion, fascinating to visit are:
- The city of Sv. Vlas (35 km) where there is a mountain hiking trail with sea views. The path has several branches, one of which leads to the resort village of Elenite.
- The town of Nessebar (41 km) with its unique archaic atmosphere, many preserved historic buildings and a lovely beach.
- The city of Pomorie (61 km) with its historical sites and beautiful beaches with clean water.
- Next to Pomorie is the most massive Thracian dome tomb in Bulgaria.
- There is also an exciting hiking trail near Pomorie Lake, which runs along a wild beach.
- There is a visitor information centre in Pomorie where one can watch rare birds in Pomorie Lake with binoculars provided. It is adjacent to the Salt Museum that is present in the list with “100 Tourist Sites of Bulgaria.”
USEFUL: To get a quick and easy idea of where these places are – see the destinations marked on our Google map. There all the landmarks we’ve written about, are marked as tags with links.
To plan your trip to them, you can use the selection of assistive tools: Google Road Map with calculator in km, flights to Bulgaria, rental cars, weather forecast, hotel search, timetables of buses in the region.